Rehabilitation & Physical Therapy
EASTAR Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
A traumatic illness, injury or surgery is a disruption that many people will face at some point in their life. Rehabilitation can be the most important element of the healing process, determining the difference between disability and returning to a normal lifestyle. Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapies play an integral role toward regaining independence, self-reliance and confidence. We are excited to provide outstanding Acute and Inpatient Rehabilitation Services at EASTAR Health System.
Our commitment is to help each patient achieve the highest level of function and independence.
EASTAR Health Services Acute Rehabilitation services offers physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech-language pathology to patients who have changes in function and health status from injury, illness or disease.
The EASTAR Health Services Inpatient Rehabilitation Center is a 26-bed unit providing a comprehensive, hospital-based physical rehabilitation program exclusively for the treatment of those who have experienced a disabling injury or illness. Patients are provided 24-hour RN care, intensive rehabilitation and close supervision by a physician specially trained in Rehabilitation Medicine. We realize that recovery from a life-altering injury or illness is a very personal process. Therefore, every treatment plan is individually developed to guide each patient toward the best possible medical and functional outcomes. This team-focused treatment plan is developed with the patient and family and is led by the Rehabilitation physician. Families and caregivers are highly encouraged to participate in therapy sessions. Family/caregiver involvement is critical to the patient’s success upon leaving the rehab unit. Patients receive at least 3 hours of therapy per day, at least 5 days per week. Therapy sessions are provided throughout the day to ensure success with the program.
Our experienced rehabilitation team is made up of:
- Physiatrists (Physicians who specialize in Pain Management and Rehabilitation)
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapists
- Nurses who are experienced in Rehabilitation Nursing
- Social Workers who begin discharge planning upon admission to ensure a smooth transition
- Other services such as nutrition, psychological and orthotics
Our Rehabilitation Program has many services and benefits, including:
- Separate and large physical and occupational therapy gyms
- Variety of equipment and services including power parallel bars, car transfer simulator,
Biodex Gait Trainer and Wii-Habilitation
- Wheelchair-accessible vegetable and flower gardens and patio
- Transitional apartment and full kitchen for relearning everyday living skills such as cooking,
household activities, grooming and showering
- Separate speech pathology clinic to address swallowing, speech, language and cognition
- Large patient dining room and family area for socialization
Admission to the Inpatient Rehab Unit requires patients to meet criteria developed by Medicare and private insurance payers. Medicare encourages referrals from a specific list of diagnoses and all admissions have to be accepted by the Rehabilitation Physician and Program Director.
Length of Stay and Discharge Information
Length of stay is determined by a number of factors including the ability of the patient to participate in therapy sessions, the potential to make significant improvement and supports available upon discharge. Length of stay will be decided after admission to the rehab unit. Discharge planning begins before a patient is admitted. Families should identify people who can provide support (care, supervision, housekeeping, etc.) if necessary when a patient is discharged. Although everyone is hopeful of significant improvements after a stay on rehab, alternative arrangements need to be considered in the event that a patient does not make enough improvements to return to their prior living situation. Alternative arrangements that may need to be considered are moving in with a friend or relative; having a friend or relative live with the patient; or consider moving to a different home, assisted living facility or nursing home.
The evidence of success at the EASTAR Health Services Rehabilitation Program is seen by:
- average of 75% of patients admitted return to their home
- evidence-based progress toward rehabilitation goals
- patient satisfaction rate of 98% (per patient satisfaction survey results)
We look forward to answering your questions regarding Rehabilitation Services at EASTAR Health System and welcome you to call us at 918-684-2397 or come by and visit our facility.