Home / Latest Posts / Overview Of How To Do SSN Changes For An Adopted Child

Overview Of How To Do SSN Changes For An Adopted Child

If you have recently adopted a child, and they do not have a Social Security card, you will need to get one for them at some point in time. Instead of doing this as you would for your biological child, there might be a few additional forms of verification that may be necessary for them to print this out for you. For example, if you have adopted a new baby, or even a younger child, you may want to have this so that when they are older they can have it. Let’s go over the process of obtaining a Social Security card for an adopted child, and also how to make changes that may be necessary.

Is There Any Cost For Doing This?

There is never a fee for doing this. This is something that you can do at the local Social Security Administration office. You will simply provide them with information that will verify that you are the legal guardian or parent of this adopted child, and then they can provide you with a new one if you do not currently have one. If you are making changes, the same is true. The documentation for changes will be provided and then you will give them this information so they can make the changes for you.

Why Would You Need To Do This?

The main reason that you need to do this is that the adopted child will have a different name. You will want to change their last name to the last name that you have. This will identify them as a member of your family, something that most adoptive parents will want to do. You will need to show proof such as their previous name, the new name that you would like to have on their Social Security card, and copies of information about the final adoption decree that was provided by the court.

Does This Take Long To Do The Changes?

It doesn’t take very long to do this. It will be the same amount of time that it would take to make changes to your own Social Security card. The only notable difference is that they are requesting legal information in relationship to you legally adopting the child. The process is going to take no more than an hour to fill out the paperwork. If you are down at the Social Security Administration office, they can help you fill out everything on the form. The process of sending it they will handle, and once everything has been confirmed at the main office, they will then change the legal information and send you a new card.

The only thing that needs to be noted is that you need to provide originals of the documentation to replace lost ss card that they are requesting. This is because anyone could walk in with copies of someone else’s legal papers and attempt to get this information fraudulently. By providing them with original copies of what they are requesting, this will expedite the process. They will have everything they need to make changes to the last name of the child that you have just adopted.

About Hazel Fletcher

Check Also

How To Apply Hair Serum On Dry Hair

If you are ready to do a haircare treatment, one that involves using some type …